Thursday 14 April 2016

100th Post! My Ultimate Favourite 9 Books To Read


Hello everyone! This is my 100th post!! It's been just over two years since I started this blog so today I'm going to do something that I don't usually do and tell you all about my 9 ultimate favourite books to get cosy and get lost in. 


Fiction


Books that make you question your aspirations are very important and even more so when they are metaphorical - which is how I read this one. The poor hen, who is constantly under threat from predators, only has one simple wish and she is challenged in her attempt to fulfil it. 

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

With the new film coming out TOMORROW(!) I have quickly read this book and it is so much more than what the original film portrayed the story as. Mowgli's hardships of being a 'man-cub' within the animals of the jungle lead to him creating friendships with Bhageera the panther and Baloo the bear who protect him from the animals who see him as prey. 

Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo

Michael gets ship wrecked on an island with his dog Stella but they're not alone. This is another 'chidren's' book that is also a great read for adults (in fact, my Dad is currently reading it) and this is probably my favourite book in this category. 


The Bradley's go on a journey of discovering themselves and one another. When an event brings many emotions including confusion, sadness and hope, each member of the family's life is changed forever. Though this is a pretty dull read, I was interested to see different perspectives from the different family members after the event happened because I have experienced a similar situation.


Science

The Compact Cosmos by Matt Tweed

A compact and easy to go to guide of the cosmos. Understand more about the universe from auric objects to zones that are habitable away from our planet with both cute and complicated illustrations.

The Martian by Andy Weir

Mark Watney is stranded on Mars after the rest of the crew from his mission had to make an emergency evacuation and thought he had died in the process. This sci-fi novel is one of the best books I've ever read and is also an incredible film staring Matt Damon (though I prefer the book).


If you know me then you'll have heard me mention Chris Hadfield a couple thousand of times. All time cool guy and three time space go-er, Chris Hadfield's rocket ride of how he became an astronaut (with helpful healthy life tips) makes this my favourite book ever.


Autobiography

A Work In Progress by Connor Franta

With almost five and a half million subscribers on YouTube, Connor Franta shares how his childhood and teenage years have made him who he is today. I love reading about how people who make their own careers get to where they are in life. Be aware: this book has been written with great aesthetics.

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb

Who is Malala? More like who is she not and what hasn't she done?! She was shot by the Taliban for wanting girls across the world to be educated equally and this is her story from before the event that changed her life and afterwards. I don't think I will ever get over the fact she is only a few months older than me and has achieved what she has already and here I am watching kids TV shows (All Over The Place if you're interested).

Have you read any of these book? If so, did you enjoy them as much as me? Do you have any books that you would put on your favourites list that you think I should read? Let me know in the comments.

Comments