Sunday 13 September 2015

Red Velvet - The Red : Album Review

How long has it been since I have done an album review? Too long for me to leave it any longer that's for sure!! And because I have been really loving Red Velvet's 1st Album, The Red, I thought I would review it.





















1. Dumb Dumb

The title song! Probably my favourite song they've done, it's got such a good tune in the chorus and the repetitive 'dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb' that makes the song really fun also makes the song so addictive.

Even though the rap parts really do not show good rapping and there is no part that has incredible vocals, sometimes songs don't need them to deliver what the producers or artists want to and the song works great with what is has. I will most likely be listening to this for the next week none stops.

2. Huff n Puff

Again, another really good tune that's really fun which is common for Red Velvet and I can't help but feel like this song, along with the concept as dolls, is a bit Christmassy. Am I the only one getting that vibe? Like I know it's the next major holiday after halloween but maybe the beginning of September is a bit soon for Christmas vibes, you know?

Anyway, back to the song. The electronic and hip hop beat is quite odd but because it works so well (for me, anyway) it really makes this song as lovable as it is.

3. Campfire

Campfire has a mellow-er feel but is still upbeat. If I'm honest, I would have made this song a lot more mellow and laid back if I was the producer for this song. Don't get me wrong - I love it the way it is but because it is a song about being at a campfire and the surroundings with feelings of love and I don't think the song works well with the lyrics and feelings that it's trying to portray. As someone who studies music and wants to be a music producer, I feel very strongly about these types of things so ... please excuse me....






















4. Red Dress

The verses of this song have really got it going for them! They are killing it! The chorus, however, is a different story. It's OK but it doesn't really compare to the verses which are so lively, upbeat and full of expression. If I'm honest it is a bit boring and I remember feeling a bit disappointed when I first heard it because it was a bit like an anti climax really.

5. Oh Boy

This is a song that I think will grow on me. I listen to it and I know it's good because I can hear the beat and the vocals enveloping around me and make me feel good but it doesn't stand out as much as other songs do on this album.

6. Lady's Room

Now please don't hate me for what I'm about to say. This entire review is my opinion and I would respect you if you said that 'Dumb Dumb' or 'Huff n Puff' were not taking your fancy. Lady's Room really has nothing to it and I don't really see a point in it. Because of this it reminded me a bit of Girls' Generation's 'Party' as it felt like it was just created because they needed a song. Sorry .....

7. Time Slip

Opposite to Red Dress, I really love the chorus but the verses are not so good, however parts of them are. This is because the chorus and verses have different styles and almost belong in different genres - the verses are hip hop based whilst the chorus is a slow pop song. And let's just mention the harmonies because they are very nice to listen to!
















8. Don't U Wait No More

Part of me likes this song and part of me doesn't. It's an easy beat with adventure of vocals ... maybe a bit too adventurous a few too many times, though. The easiness of the song is likeable but the repetitiveness is plain and the toe-curling vocals (at times) is not.

9. Day 1

This takes me back to kpop back in the good old days. Am I the only one who got this? I'm thinking Early Orange Caramel and IU style. It's fun and doesn't have anything too over powering (I'm talking about style or instruments). It could maybe have something more too it to make it more memorable but I'm not sure what that something would be. Nevertheless, it's a good song without this secret something that my concious is telling me it should have.

10. Cool World

Somehow I listened to this song before I even watched the 'Dumb Dumb' music video (I don't really know how either). And though I may want to call this song a bit boring, it is actually a right tune! The melodies and rhythm that it contains wraps well with the beat and instruments. It's not a song that I could get up and dance to but it is a song that I would listen to when I'm on the bus or walking to college - that says something!!

So there it is! My review on Red Velvet's 'The Red' album. Please let me know what you think about the songs if you feel the same way that I do or even if you feel like I should know how much you disagree with my opinion!
- Zin

Comments